Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Smite - My Thoughts on Domination

So I tried to record a game of domination to make a commentary on my thoughts on the new game mode. I had an awesome game as Agni going 16/3/10 or something like that. My recording software decided to be stupid and record Skype even though it shouldn't have. Actually, I don't want to blame this on DXtory because if it was DXtory, I should have been able to salvage the audio. I don't know what happened, but something fucked up. So now I'm just gonna blog about my thoughts on domination. #fuckredoingshit



---

Now that that mini-rant and unnecessary use of a hashtag is over, we can move on with our lives and with my thoughts. Domination is the newest game mode added in Smite. It is, as the name implies, a traditional domination style game. There are three points located on the map, each conveniently within a lane (just like Conquest). Each time starts with 400 tickets. If your team holds two or more of the points (Obelisks from here on out), then the enemy team begins to bleed tickets. Each team also loses tickets for each death. The first team to reduce the others team ticket count to 0 wins.

So, first things first. It IS a very standard domination style game. However, it is some of the most fun I have ever had in a standard domination game mode. I'm not quite sure why, I think its just the massive love I have for Smite. Smite is just such an enjoyable game that I'm pretty positive that I could enjoy it in any game mode.

Next, this map is absolutely beautiful. It really is. It is Egyptian-themed and incredibly stylized with the Smite art style that I know all of us love. The skybox is incredibly detailed with a constellation/aurora phoenix on one side. The obelisks have the most amazing animations ever. Whenever one team gains control of an obelisk a sand guardian rises out of a box next to the point and pulls a new obelisk out of the ground. It is needlessly cool and I love Hi-rez for it. No really, the map designers deserve a raise. Those guys are great.

All around, the game mode is incredibly balanced and offers a much different play style from both Conquest and Arena. It actually feels like an entire concept based around the midgame of Conquest. Arena is nothing but late game Conquest teamfights. Domination offers alot of midgame fights like 2 on 3 or 3 on 3 but very rarely offering 5 on 5 teamfights.

All-in-all, I love this game mode. It is a refreshing change of pace from Conquest that isn't just a mindless slaughterhouse like Arena. I'm incredibly interested in seeing what Hi-Rez can and will do for other game modes in the future of Smite. Smite has an incredibly bright future ahead of it and the inclusion of Domination really seems to prove that.

No comments:

Post a Comment